Natural Justice (Lawyers for Communities and the Environment) is a pioneering international team of legal practitioners. We conduct comprehensive research on environmental and human rights law, support communities and local organizations, provide technical advice to governments and intergovernmental organizations, and engage in key international processes in pursuit of environmental and social justice. Natural Justice currently works in Africa, Asia and Latin America and has offices in South Africa, Kenya, Malaysia, India, and New York City.
What are we looking for?
Natural Justice has been working with communities, NGOs and government agencies in India since 2009. Due to an increase in the scale of work and an expanded team, we are seeking a full-time Office Manager to assist in the coordination of our work in India. The successful candidate will be expected to begin work in mid-January and be based in Bangalore.
The Office Manager will work closely with the core team in India and remotely with the finance team in South Africa. The key roles and responsibilities are financial, organizational and human resources management of the Indian office. Tasks will include (among others): preparing budgets and financial statements and reports; implementing administrative and operational policies and procedures; managing hiring processes, contracts and performance reviews; and ensuring adherence to project timelines and deadlines, including reporting.
Minimum skills and experience required:
- Tertiary education in management, finance or an allied discipline;
- Proven experience with financial management and associated software;
- At least one year of experience with organizational management;
- At least one year of experience with human resources management;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including through online platforms; and
- Fluency in English
Desirable traits and attributes:
- Professionalism, strong work ethic, and personal initiative;
- Critical and analytical thinking;
- Reliability and attention to detail;
- Ability to work both in teams and independently with little supervision;
- Ability to work effectively in multicultural and international settings;
- Ability to engage with a range of stakeholders;
- Prior experience in the non-profit sector, particularly working with communities and civil society organizations and networks, would be a distinct advantage; and
- Fluency in at least one Indian language (preferably Hindi).
What’s on offer?
Natural Justice is a close-knit and nurturing collective that places emphasis on facilitating opportunities for the professional and personal growth of its members. Natural Justice will offer a competitive salary of INR 40,000 or commensurate with skills and experience, with the opportunity for a long-term contract, pending performance and available funds. Joining Natural Justice will also give the successful candidate a chance to work with a passionate and highly professional global team in a fast-paced environment and gain valuable experience
Deadline: 2nd January, 2015
Please email your application to Arpitha Kodiveri (arpitha (at) naturaljustice.org) with the job title in the subject line. Include a motivation letter that indicates why you feel you are the best candidate for this position and a detailed CV with three references that together speak to the required skills and experience and desirable traits and attributes listed above. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.